Remove the Haystack…To Find a Needle
More and more HPLC and mass spectrometry technologies replace the less sensitive and often unspecific immunoassays for the detection and analysis of increasingly complex target analytes in clinical diagnostics and screening laboratories. To reduce matrix effects, a good sample preparation method upfront of these analyses is often required to exclude interfering compounds – especially the proteins. All commonly used methods – PP, SPE and LLE – have specific disadvantanges: difficult to automate, time-consuming and/or economically unfavourable.
MagSiMUS magnetic bead-based biological sample preparation kits are intended for protein depletion and removal of other interfering compounds from biological samples like whole blood, serum, plasma or urine. They work according to the unique and innovative negative selection technology, which removes the contaminants and leaves the target molecules in the supernatant.
The MagSiMUS magnetic bead based sample preparation process
For LC-MS, an internal standard, typically dissolved in reconstitution buffer is added to a clinical sample, e.g. serum, plasma, whole blood or urine. This ensures that the analyte itself and the internal standard undergo one and the same clean-up route. The MagSiMUS magnetic bead mix is then added and suspended homogeneously within the clinical sample. Proteins and larger peptides are now precipitated towards the bead’s surface by addition of a protein precipitating reagent. The magnetic bead/protein precipitate is then attracted by a magnetic field by a suitable magnetic separator leaving the target analyte in suspension. The supernatant is clean and can be directly injected into the read-out system (UHPLC, LC-MS/MS).
- Reduced matrix effects in HPLC and mass spectrometry
- Quick and complete sample-prep protocols, short run times
- Easy to automate for medium or high throughputs
- Works with low sample volumes so is always cost-saving
- No need for centrifugation or the application of positive or negative pressure
- Available: MagSiMUS Protein Removal and MagSiMUS LipidCTRL
MagSiMUS technology publications
- Koenig K, et al, Deproteination of serum samples for LC-MS/MS analyses by applying magnetic micro-particles,
ClinBiochem (2013), http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2013.01.003.
- Van den Bossche D, et al, Deproteination of whole blood for LC-MS/MS using paramagnetic micro-particles.
Clin Biochem. 2014 Jul 6. pii: S0009-9120(14)00491-3. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2014.06.078.
- AC Suhr, et al, Ferromagnetic particles as a rapid and robust sample preparation for the absolute quantification of seven eicosanoids in human plasma by UHPLC–MS/MS. Journal of Chromatography B, 1022 (2016) 173–182
- Wiesen, et al, Paramagnetic micro-particles as a tool for rapid quantification of apixaban, dabigatran, edoxaban and rivaroxaban in human plasma by UHPLC-MS/MS. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2017 Mar 22. pii: /j/cclm.ahead-of-print/cclm-2016-0888/cclm-2016-0888.xml. doi: 10.1515/cclm-2016-0888